Strathfield Symphony Orchestra is a friendly and fun place to play exciting symphonic orchestral music to a high standard. We prepare at least four programs each year. We work with a range of experienced conductors and soloists as well as providing opportunities for young conductors and soloists. The orchestra has a special interest in performing works by Australian composers.
We are always looking for new players. There are always opportunities for string players of sufficient standard, and there are regularly opportunities for new wind, brass and percussion players.
The orchestra charges an annual membership fee ($100 in 2017). Membership gives you playing benefits, voting rights at the AGM, and one free ticket to each concert season (4 per year). Membership opportunities may be limited so that sections do not become over-filled. We also have a “pay to play” option for seasonal players that does not have any of the benefits of membership. These funds go towards the hire of music, conductors’ fees and other expenses.
We rehearse on Monday nights and the Friday before a performance from 7:30 pm to 10:00 pm in Strathfield Town Hall. Performances are normally either Saturday evening (7 pm) or Sunday afternoon (2:30 pm) or both.
If you are interested in playing with Strathfield Symphony Orchestra you should read the information on player performance standards below and then contact the orchestra manager.
We look forward to meeting and playing with you.
SSO Policies and Procedures
Our orchestra community:
- Is a full symphony orchestra
- Includes players of varying abilities (minimum standards required)
- Places priority on the equitable inclusion of our financial members
- Comprises committed players who attend all (or most) rehearsals
- Develops players and ensemble ability within the core membership base
- Provides opportunities for soloists, developing professional musicians and guest conductors
Our performance repertoire:
- Challenges the abilities and skills of the playing group
- Supports Australian composers and performers.
- Takes account of the programming of other local and community orchestras
- Takes account of our audience and player preferences for repertoire
Our orchestra management:
- Creates a sustainable Committee environment that distributes work, supports the team and seeks new contributions and members
- Focuses on local performances in Strathfield and develops our core audience base
- Is financially sustainable
Entry as a player
Players wishing to join the Orchestra should apply to the administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org) including qualifications (if any) and experience, particularly in orchestral playing. An audition or trial period may be required. We may call for expressions of interest for any position. The Orchestra often plays demanding works which require a playing standard of Grade 6 AMEB (or equivalent) for strings and Grade 7 (or equivalent) for wind and brass players.
As only one player is assigned to each scored part for these sections, the requirements often vary greatly depending on works performed. So it is not always possible for all players to be involved in every concert season. However, there are usually plenty of opportunities to play as a substitute player at rehearsals if one of the rostered players becomes unavailable.
Membership to the orchestra is subject to the Rules and to payment of a yearly subscription fee. Membership opportunities may be limited so sections do not become over-full. Preference will be given to financial members if the number of players available exceeds the requirements.